Tisha's clients include Fortune 500 companies, municipalities, regional businesses, and transit agencies. Her practice emphasizes remediation of contaminated property under CERCLA, water quality under the Clean Water Act, complex liability negotiations, and strategic advice across all environmental media.
- Represent potentially responsible parties at multi-party federal and state hazardous waste sites. Clients have included owners and operators of sites and generators and transporters of waste from a broad range of industries. Representation includes negotiation of cleanups, cost allocation, natural resource damages, and contribution actions.
- Advise clients on regulatory compliance with the Clean Water Act. Represent clients in citizen suits under the Clean Water Act.
- Represent clients in state administrative actions challenging penalties issued under the Clean Air Act.
- Advise clients on environmental risk mitigation including procurement of environmental insurance policies, and manuscript insurance policies.
- Represent clients in insurance recovery actions in negotiations, mediations, arbitrations, and state and federal court litigation.
- Advise Fortune 500 transportation company on regulatory compliance in hazardous waste exposure and claims in Washington, Montana and Colorado.
- Advise industrial clients about compliance with pollution control, including negotiation of enforcement and corrective action with governmental agencies.
- Advise regarding environmental risk and liabilities associated with corporate transactions including mergers, acquisitions and strategic alliances.
- Advise regarding environmental liabilities in real estate transactions, including brownfield redevelopment, and disputes between predecessor and successor owners.
- Negotiate “risk” transfer to contractor to cap client’s CERCLA liability.
- Advise regarding release reporting obligations and emergency response.
Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2014 – present)
Board of Trustees, Environmental Coalition of South Seattle (2007 – present)
Trustee, University of Washington Alumni Association Board of Trustees (2009 – 2011)
Member, University of Washington Alumni Association Legislative Action Committee (2011 – 2013)
Member, The (Washington) Supreme Court Commissions, Boards and Task Forces Assessment Work Group (2010)
Editorial Board, Washington State Bar Association Environmental and Land Use Section (2003 - 2010)
President, Washington Women Lawyers (2005 – 2006)
Mentor, University of Washington School of Law mentorship program for 1Ls
Leading Practitioner in Chambers USA (2015 – present)
Named to Best Lawyers in America (2013 – present)
Named SuperLawyer (2012 – present), "Top 100 Lawyers" and "Top 50 Women" (2013 - 2014 and 2016), and Rising Star (2004 - 2009 and 2011) by Thomson Reuters
Included in Best Lawyers in the Business supplement to Seattle Business magazine, January 2013
Top Lawyers of Washington by Washington CEO magazine
Recipient of 2005 Washington State Bar Association Young Lawyer's Division Professionalism Award
Select Publications and Presentations:
Co-Author (with K. Weiner and A. Moir), Real Property Deskbook 4th Edition Chapter "Washington Model Toxics Control Act", Washington State Bar Association (2013)
ABA Women Trailblazers in the Law Interviewer, "Ada Shen-Jaffe" (2013)
Guest Lecturer, Seattle University School of Law (2011 - 2012, 2009)
Guest Lecturer, The Nonprofit Executive Leadership Institute through the University of Washington’s Evans School of Public Affairs (2011)
Speaker, “Land Use and Environmental Due Diligence When Acquiring Property,” Washington State Bar Association (2010)
Co-Author (with A. Peck & M. Quasius), “Federal Environmental Law Update,” Environmental & Land Use Law Newsletter, ELUL Section, Washington State Bar Association, Vol. 37 n.1 (May 2010)
Speaker, “The U.S. Supreme Court’s Environmental Docket. Making Sense of the 2009 Term: A Harbinger of What is to Come?” University of Washington School of Law (2009)
Speaker, Environmental: Northwest Environmental Business Council (2005)
Speaker, "Environmental Law: What You Need to Know for 2006," King County Bar Association (2005)
Co-Chair, "Bridge Over Troubled Waters: Restoration Requirements in Environmental and Land Use Laws," WSBA Environmental and Land Use Law Section CLE (2004)
Author (with H. Harris), "Federal Court Imposes CERCLA Liability for Passive Migration of Hazardous Substances," Outlook: Environmental and Natural Resources Section, Oregon State Bar, v. 6 n. 1 (2004)